Good oral healthcare includes daily brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash. Without proper oral hygiene, bacterial infections, tooth decay, and gum diseases may occur. Since the mouth is the entry point to the digestive system, it is important to take care of oral health as well.
Brushing the teeth ensures that plaque buildup is removed. Plaques are the major cause of tooth decay and gum diseases. TDailyoral hygiene should include thorough brushing and flossing to remove food debris on small gaps that brushing may not reach.
Proper oral hygiene only takes a few minutes every day which should not be skipped in your daily routine. A correct way of brushing will help your teeth be healthy. Oral hygiene instructions are available during our regular check-ups for dental treatment.
Modified Bass Technique
One of the most recommended brushing techniques by dentists is the modified bass technique. Like the bass method, it is done to remove plaque and biofilm. It is done by following these steps:
- Bristles should be in contact with the lines of gums and teeth at a 45 angle.
- Brushing of each tooth is done in a soft and circular motion
- The back of the teeth is brushed by circular motion
- By tilting the brush, clean the back of the upper and lower front teeth with the same process
- Clean the biting surfaces of the teeth
- Repeat the cleaning process and brush your tongue as well starting from the back and going to the front.
Molars should be brushed more to ensure clean teeth. And use mouthwash for overall good oral hygiene.
How to Choose The Right Toothbrush
A lot of types of toothbrushes can be bought on the market. These are made specifically for different oral conditions. A soft-bristle toothbrush should be used at least twice a day as recommended by the American Dental Association. Most people think that using a hard-bristle toothbrush cleans more, but it may hurt and damage the gums as well as the tooth enamel.
There are available toothbrushes that have tongue cleaner and slimmer bristle tips to clean hard-to-reach areas. To know which toothbrush is best to use for your oral condition, asking for a recommendation from a professional dentist will give you options on which to choose.
Importance of Modified Bass Technique
Even with regular brushing, a plaque build-up still happens and leads to oral diseases and gingivitis. The brushing method used is one of the reasons why this happens. Dentists recommend the use of a modified bass technique to entirely remove the plaque and achieve a thorough cleaning.
This technique has been proven to be more effective than the normal method of brushing in removing plaque. By doing this technique, dentists believe that oral health will improve in time.
Things to Remember for Proper Oral Hygiene
- To achieve and maintain good oral health, regular visits to the dentist are recommended. Cleaning for the teeth and gums should be done at least every six months.
- Foods such as white bread, popcorn, crackers, and meats are some of the foods that get stuck on teeth and may lead to future oral problems. Flossing after eating, especially with meat, will keep the food debris off of the teeth.
- Sugar also can be bad for your oral health. Once the sugar enters the mouth, the plaque produces acids that damage the tooth enamel. Chewing sugar-free gum at least 20 minutes after a meal can help in preventing tooth decay.
- The most important part of maintaining good oral hygiene is brushing the teeth regularly after every meal. It will keep the teeth and gums healthy. Flossing the pockets of the gums will help remove the plaque behind the teeth or on areas that a toothbrush does not regularly reach.
- For sensitive teeth, eating and drinking certain foods may give sharp sensations. Drinking water or milk may reduce the teeth after eating or drinking. It is recommended not to brush the teeth within 30 minutes after eating.
Modified Bass Brushing Technique Conclusion
Oral health is important to our overall health. Once it is not given proper cleaning, it may give other health problems that can be more serious. Taking time in brushing their teeth will keep them healthy. By doing the modified bass technique during regular brushing, the set of teeth will surely be free from plaque and gum diseases.