Wisdom Teeth Removal in Perth
Wisdom teeth can be the cause a lot of discomfort and pain in your mouth and jaw, especially as they are located at the rear of your mouth, making them difficult to clean.
Management of wisdom teeth consists of an initial panoramic x-ray to assess the position of your wisdom teeth and whether they are likely to cause issues. At eDental Perth we have an on-site OPG machine so you can have the required x-rays taken on the day of your check up.
From this image it can be determined whether we need to remove your wisdom teeth. Most cases can be treated at our surgery under local anaesthetic, which is what most clients would prefer, rather than going to hospital. More complex cases may require referral to an oral surgeon for treatment under general anaesthetic. In the situation where specialist referral is needed, pain relieving medications or oral antibiotics can be prescribed as an interim measure.
In most cases it is beneficial to have wisdom teeth removed at a young age to prevent unwanted issues with other teeth. Problems that can arise from keeping your wisdom teeth include:
- Pain from movement of wisdom teeth
- Cyst formation
- Misaligned , crooked, tipped teeth, dental arch crowding
- Tooth decay on the otherwise healthy second molars next to the third molars (wisdom teeth)
- Pain from gum infections and difficulty cleaning the site where wisdom teeth are located
- Weakening of the jaw bone due to bone loss from infections
- Restricted jaw movement
If you feel like your wisdom teeth may be causing your discomfort, or you would like to have your wisdom teeth removed, contact us today.